Friday, January 4, 2008

TomTom

My brother, who I suppose has tired of searching for me when I become lost, gave me a TomTom One GPS navigation system as a Christmas Gift.

It's very easy to use. I just attach it to the windshield of my car and it shouts directions at me as I drive. But I've found out the hard way that it is not a toy.

Today I decided to use it to find my way home from work. I actually know how to get home from work. In fact, I know several good routes. TomTom came up with a very bad route. And I followed it anyway.

It seemed as though I had no choice - TomTom told me when and where to turn, and I did. I knew it was a bad idea, and I did it anyway. My commute took more than twice the time it usually does.

Unless I learn to stand up for what I believe in, I don't think I should use this device unless I really need to.

No comments: